You may have noticed that it has been a week since I’ve last written. Yeah…I’ve been needing some time away from the blog. After all the time spent updating the site and transferring the old website to the new website, my eyeballs were crossed and I had absolutely zero motivation to actually write a blog post.
But, here I am. And I’ve got a meal plan for you (still the most requested thing from this blog!):
Wednesday: Easy Bacon Chicken Bowl (<—hands down, one of my favorite meals in the whole wide world)
Thursday: “Thanksgiving”– we’re making pork tenderloin, gravy, steamed green beans, homemade cranberry relish, and possibly grain-free biscuits
Friday: Mark’s work Christmas party
I also want to tell you about my new-found love for lemon salt water in the morning.
Every morning, I used to drink a huge mug of coffee with coconut milk and a dollop of honey, however, I started feeling jittery and over-caffeinated by 6:30am. I researched a more nourishing coffee-alternative and have been substituting with lemon salt water every morning for 3 weeks now and I feel INCREDIBLE! I feel energetic and satisfied (this is the only word I can think to describe it– by it, I mean that I’m not having cravings or feeling anxious). I just feel good.
Here’s how I make it:
- I heat 10 ounces of water in the microwave until it’s warm then pour it into my travel mug.
- I slice a fresh, real lemon in half (I DO NOT use the stuff that comes in a lemon-looking squeeze bottle) and squeeze the half of lemon into the warm water.
- I give the lemon water a whirl then add 1/2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt to my warm lemon water and stir it all together one last time. (DO NOT use table salt…use of high quality salt matters!)
Here’s why I drink it:
- Lemons are high in Vitamin C (good for the immune system), help balance the body’s pH, naturally antibacterial, help dissolve uric acid (which means they decrease inflammation in joints!), are a natural source of citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, and encourage the production of bile (for better digestion!)
- Quality salt has SO many benefits:
- Food absorption: Proper mineral balance in food and water (from salt/trace minerals) helps the body absorb and assimilate food and water better.
- Cell Cleansing– The negatively charged ions in real salt and the trace mineral concentration let it cross into cells and pull toxins from them.
- Heart Health– The negative ions in real salt help stabilize an irregular heart beat and support electro-chemical reactions in the body.
- pH Balance– The alkalizing effects of real salt help balance the body’s pH.
- Blood Sugar– Proper mineral balance from real salt helps increase insulin sensitivity and has even been shown helpful in patients with diabetes.
- Allergies- Some evidence shows that real salt dissolved in warm water is an effective natural antihistamine.
- Improved sleep- Balancing the trace minerals in the body is supportive of hormone processes and can improve sleep quality and duration.
- Reproductive Health– By supporting natural hormone function, real salt is also supportive of natural fertility and can improve reproductive health in both men and women.
- Cellulite– There is some evidence that cellulite is lessened by proper intake of regular salt. (I’ve seen this personally)
- Cell Communication– Its pH and ion concentration help improve chemical communication between cells.
- Muscle Cramps/Tension– The trace minerals and pH in real salt help alleviate muscle cramps (magnesium is also important here). This is one reason that you often see athletes soak in salt water/epsom salt baths.
- Bone Health– Over 1/4 of the body’s salt is in the bones. When sodium and trace mineral stores are not high enough in the body, it can pull salt from the bones to keep the rest of the body functioning. This can be a tremendous factor in osteoporosis. (Magnesium is important here as well)
- Adrenal and Thyroid Health– the pH and trace minerals in salt are extremely important for proper adrenal and thyroid function. If you suffer from problems with either of these glands, increasing salt consumption can greatly help improve symptoms.
- Nerve function– The electrical properties in real salt help support proper nerve function and communication throughout the body.
- Water Content of Body– Just as an IV must be in the proper electrolyte concentration to be absorbed, the trace mineral in real salt help the body naturally regulate the amount of water and trace minerals it needs.
- Sexual Health- The same hormone-supporting properties of salt make it supportive of healthy libido and sexual function
- Digestive Health– When consumed with water, real salt can help optimize the environment in the digestive system and increase stomach acid. This makes it helpful in dealing with digestive disorders, heartburn and other digestive problems.
- Eczema and Psoriasis– The same helpful properties in real salt make it helpful both internally and externally for skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
(all info from Wellness Mama)
Let me know if you try lemon salt water! I’d love to hear about your experience!