Just so y’all know, all those silly parenting cliches really are true:
-The love you have for your baby really is more intense than anything you’ve ever experienced
-Time passes much more quickly when you have a child
-You really do forget to shower, eat, and change out of your PJs (because you’re so busy staring at your baby all day)
-You completely forget about your sleep deprivation, hospital bills, mom guilt, and stretch marks the moment your baby looks into your eyes and smiles. It is THE.BEST.THING. EVER. EVER. EVER.
Sigh…I feel like such a mom now. I cried the other night because Hudson had a very mucus-y nose and I felt helpless. I’ve been worrying like crazy and Googling everything having to do with a red rashes on babies’ cheeks (turns out it’s very normal and nothing to worry about!), I have an overwhelming feeling of guilt when Hudson cries (all I want to do is make him happy!)…
All this to say, my priorities have (rightfully!) shifted 110%! I hardly worry about any of the things about myself that I used to. As long as I’m healthy and able to nurse and take care of Hudson, I’m perfectly content.
At just over 7 weeks postpartum, I am back to running and doing Fit Camp and I feel amazing. I’ve lost quite a bit of my strength and stamina over the last couple of months but am well on my way to get all of it (and more!) back. As I mentioned in this blog post, it feels great to be able to focus on working out in order to be strong and fit, not to necessarily lose pregnancy weight or fit into anything particular, etc.
So, admittedly, I was extremely hesitant to use any postpartum wrap immediately after birth– mostly because shrinking my stomach and hips was the last thing on my mind when Hudson arrived! (Prior to giving birth I was in complete get-back-into-shape mode because I was SO SICK of being large and pregnant! I would have wrapped myself from head to toe if you told me it was going to make me feel normal again!)
I was extremely happy to learn, though, that the Belly Bandit, in particular, does more than just shrink your waistline. My midwife and nurses encouraged me to use massage and pressure to help my uterus shrink back to its pre-pregnancy size, but the pressure from the Belly Bandit naturally did that for me! Also, most importantly for me, as I found myself nursing at 2am with terrible, hunched-over posture, the Belly Bandit provided excellent back support.
Now that I’m just over 7 weeks postpartum, I can share my experience with all of you!
- I started wearing the Belly Bandit a couple days after having Hudson (You’re supposed to start wearing it right after delivering, but I forgot to pack it to bring to the hospital-oops!) Here I am about 5 days postpartum:
- I only wore it for a few hours at a time each day because Hudson would scratch his legs on it every time he nursed. I also did not wear Belly Bandit to bed because I hate feeling constricted when I sleep. However, it is meant to be worn 24/7 (except when you shower!).
- I tried the Bamboo version of the Belly Bandit because I’ve heard it’s much more comfortable than the original version. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I did find it very soft, breathable, and relatively comfortable, especially for something that is made specifically to squeeze you!
- If you’re between sizes, go with the smaller size.( The folks at Belly Bandit were very helpful so don’t hesitate to contact them!) At 8 months pregnant (when you take your measurements for the Belly Bandit!), I was between sizes. They advised me to go with the smaller size, and they were exactly right. Even though it was pretty tight the first couple of days, I’m glad I didn’t have to buy a new size as my stomach shrunk.
- I tend to obsess about numbers so, knowing this about myself, I choose to stay away from measurements. However, for blogging purposes, I measured my waist and hips, and, as of today, I am exactly the same size waist that I was prior to pregnancy and I am 3/4 of an inch wider in the hips than I was prior to pregnancy.
Overall, I’m very happy with my Belly Bandit experience and would recommend it to all postpartum mamas!
*Disclaimer: The folks at Belly Bandit sent me a complimentary wrap, but I am under no obligation to post a positive review.*