Good to Know, Health, Life

Small, Daily Habits That Keep Me on Track

November 2, 2015

I’m so happy to say that we did not acquire any Halloween candy this year. Let me be clear– I love candy…which is why I’m glad there’s none in our house. Because I eat ALL the candy! Mark does not care for anything but super dark chocolate so I’m the lone candy-consumer in our house.

Besides getting no candy (Hudson is too young for trick or treating…it was not even on our radar!), Mark, Hudson and I had a very low-key Halloween. We did a Halloween themed workout, some housework, and, in the evening, we hung out with family (including Hudson’s cousin who is one week older than he is!) and watched the Florida/Georgia football game, ate some good food and went to bed early. 

FullSizeRender 2IMG_8445 2

It really feels nice to have adapted to having a baby. We’re almost 3 months into this whole “family life” thing, and I can finally say that most things have gotten a little easier. I can now balance eating, sleeping, caring for a baby, working, and doing the things needed to maintain our household…whereas a month ago, I had a mental breakdown  and felt hopelessly overwhelmed about every other day.

Now that Hudson and Mark and I have more of a normal routine and we’re back in the swing of life, I’ve been developing some small, daily habits that I find really helpful in keeping my mental and physical well-being in check:

  • I ALWAYS eat breakfast. If I do not, I’m ravenous by 10am and eat every terrible food option known to man. Especially now that I’m breastfeeding, I make an especially concerted effort to eat regularly. I focus on eating the most nutritionally sound breakfast I can, but making sure I get plenty of quality fat and protein are my biggest focuses.
  • I schedule my workouts. I’m a planner through and through. Every Sunday I sit down with my calendar and schedule out EVERYTHING important to me in the upcoming week. This includes my workout schedule. On days that I don’t attend Fit Camp at the gym, I schedule runs, Tabata workouts, or mobility stuff. Even if it’s just a 15 minute increment of my day, I put it on the calendar! I don’t let myself have any excuses for not doing some type of fitness each week– especially not a scheduling conflict!
  • I do my best to get 8 hours of sleep per day/night. 8 hours of sleep seems to be my magic “I-feel-really-rested” number. Having a baby definitely makes this one tough, though. But here’s what I do and it seems to keep me from being a zombie: If I sleep 7ish hours at night (which is my norm these days!), then I schedule a 1 hour nap during the day (while Hudson is also napping). Sometimes Hudson will sleep longer at night and I will get 8 hours of sleep at night but I will still rest (read a book, journal, listen to music and zone out) for about 1/2 an hour. 
  • I have a tiny bit of “me time” every day. Again, this was a little easier pre-Hudson, however, I find this little habit more important than ever. I carve out at least 10-15 minutes every day to do something for myself. Maybe it’s online shoe shopping, watering my herb garden, eating a piece of chocolate in peace, walking on the beach, watching the Real Housewives– whatever it is, I try to do something that makes me happy without letting myself feel guilty, stressed, worried, or pre-occupied with the 100 things usually running through my head. It’s my daily few moments of letting go and breathing!
  • I say no. I used to be a complete “yes” girl. No matter what was asked of me, I did it. Now, I’ve learned that it is empowering to not do and be everything for everyone. I focus on Mark and Hudson with 90% of my energies and the rest of the world gets my other 10%. Once I feel like my 10% is filled, I say no to everything else!

That’s it. These are the little things that add up to a sustainable, healthy way of life for me. Granted I had more time and energy to devout to other healthy habits before having Hudson, I’m certain I will be able to get back to those things one day. For now, I do what I can and don’t let myself feel guilt on the days that I take a nap instead of responding to 50 emails or have dessert after lunch and dinner…3 days in a row. It’s all about balance, people!

xo

You Might Also Like